Summerhill Market is a boutique grocery store chain in Toronto that specializes in scratch-made prepared foods and on-trend ingredients. Our stores go above and beyond a typical grocery store by offering an extensive rotating selection of ready to eat gourmet meals, freshly baked goodies, and curated hard to find groceries.
Summerhill Market is looking for an Assistant Cake Decorator to join the team at our Bakery Production Kitchen! The Assistant Cake Decorators work closely with all members of the production team, following specific recipes to bake pastry products which are made available for sale in Summerhill Markets retail stores. Another primary task is the decorating of cakes, cookies, pies, and other pastry items. As well as developing new and creative designs for seasonal offerings and new products.
As a member of the Summerhill Market team, you will conduct yourself with integrity and are committed to providing the best possible service and/or products to Summerhill’s customers, staff and clients. The responsibilities of the Assistant Cake Decorator include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensuring the highest in product quality;
- Cake decorating, piping and working with design;
- Scooping, measuring and scaling batters, doughs, and mixes into specified portions prior to baking;
- Following recipes provided as well as following specific production schedule;
- Weigh and scale pastry ingredients for specific recipes;
- Proper use of equipment such as mixer, sheeter, pie press, oven and stove top;
- Wash and sanitize work tables, cupboards, and appliances;
- Sweep and mop floor as required;
- Unpack and store supplies in refrigerators, cupboards, and all other areas;
- Arrange packaging of products with pastry packaging department;
- Ensure safety hazards are removed and/or reported;
- Maintaining a clean working environment at all times;
- Understanding of workplace safety as well as food safety and handling;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
- 2+ years’ experience in a high-volume bakery production kitchen
- In depth knowledge of food preparation and baking techniques
- Working knowledge of baking with ingredient limitations (pastries that are gluten free, sugarless ), an asset
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations – uses best practices to create a safe environment
- Great attention to detail
- Strong Organizational Skills
- Ability to Work Under Pressure
- Creative Problem-Solving Skills
- Strong Verbal and Written Communication Skills
If this sounds like the role for you, we offer some pretty cool perks!
- Awesome discount on everything we sell!
- Weekly Pay
- Easily accessible locations
- Company-paid benefits for Full-Time Associates after 1 year of Employment
At Summerhill Market, we are an equal opportunity employer that values and encourages diversity in the workplace. We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and Employees and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status, disability or any other characteristic protected by local law. Should you require an accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to accommodate.
If interested in applying for this opportunity, please email your resume to: