Summerhill Market is a boutique grocery store chain in Toronto that specializes in scratch-made prepared foods and on-trend ingredients. Our stores go above and beyond a typical grocery store by offering an extensive rotating selection of ready to eat gourmet meals, freshly baked goodies, and curated hard to find groceries. Summerhill Market is looking for an Assistant Pasty Chef that will work alongside the Pastry Chef, to lead the bakery production team! As an Assistant Pastry Chef, you will work alongside and lead the bakery team, to prepare a variety of desserts, pastries, and other specialty baked goods that our customers love! The ideal candidate must be well-versed in culinary arts with a creative passion for baking high quality treats and developing delicious new creations! This is a unique role in that it focuses on creating production efficiencies, managing the day-to-day operations of our bakery, as well as focusing on a forward-thinking approach and innovation.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Guide and motivate the bakery and packaging team to ensure production needs are met • Collaborate with the Pastry Chef to inspire innovation, evolving our current baked goods selection; creating new and exciting desserts to update our production selection based on seasonality, best practices, and current market trends • Decorate baked goods and pastries using different icings, toppings etc., ensuring consistency in quality and standard
• Target efficiencies in our processes; developing and revising production schedules, based on business needs • Ensure adherence of recipes that correspond with production schedules, preparing a wide variety of goods such as cakes, cookies, pies etc.
• Oversee quality control of baked goods, communicating any concerns or issues to the Pastry Chef • Collaborate with Pastry Chef for ordering and inventory control; monitoring stocks for baking ingredients such as flour, sugar etc. ensuring orders are meeting budget • Ensure proper use of equipment such as mixers, sheeters, pie presses, ovens, and stovetops
• Collaborate with the Pastry Chef to identify staffing needs, supporting with recruitment and training employees on all required safe kitchen practices • Maintain an orderly kitchen, ensuring the adherence to all health and safety policies and guidelines • Perform other duties as may be assigned
• 3+ years’ experience in a high-volume bakery production kitchen, overseeing a team
• In depth knowledge of food preparation and baking techniques
• Working knowledge of baking with ingredient limitations (pastries that are gluten free, sugarless etc.), an asset • Knowledge of health and safety regulations – uses best practices to create a safe environment
• Great attention to detail
• Strong Organizational Skills
• Ability to Work Under Pressure
• Creative Problem-Solving Skills
• Strong Verbal and Written Communication Skills
If this sounds like the role for you, we offer some pretty cool perks!
• Awesome discount on everything we sell!
• Weekly Pay
• Easily accessible locations
• Company-paid benefits for Full-Time Associates after 1 year of Employment
Equity Statement At Summerhill Market, we are an equal opportunity employer that values and encourages diversity in the workplace. We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and Employees and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status, disability or any other characteristic protected by local law. Should you require an accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to accommodate.
If interested in applying for this opportunity, please email your resume to: email@example.com