We have finally received some very exciting news – we have been approved by the Government of Canada to reopen for International Students! The approval was made today, January 12, 2021. We appreciate all of the patience you have given Chef School as we navigate these very different times, but are now receiving some very much needed positive news.
This means as an international student, you are now eligible to begin the study permit application process. The length of time it takes to receive a response regarding Visa approval varies among students, generally anywhere from 4-12 weeks. Once you do receive a response about your application, please Chef School Administration know as soon as possible. We will require a copy of your study permit when you receive it – although it will not be issued until you arrive at the Canadian border.
If you are currently enrolled for a start date of March 1, 2021, you are required to confirm when your Study Permit has been approved and complete the Quarantine Declaration form attached before February 12, 2021 in order to be fully accepted to Chef School. Limited spots available for each start date due to reduced class sizes. If you do not receive approval before this time, you are eligible to start on a different enrolment date.
If you are currently enrolled for a start date of September 13, 2021, you are required to confirm when your Study Permit has been approved and complete the Quarantine Declaration form attached before August 27th, 2021 in order to be fully accepted to Chef School. Limited spots available for each start date due to reduced class sizes. If you do not receive approval before this time, you are eligible to start on a different enrolment date.
Study Permit Border Arrival
When you arrive in Canada, you’ll meet a border services officer. The officer may ask you to show them:
- a valid passport or travel document
- the letter of introduction the visa office sent you when they approved your study permit (this letter has your permit reference number which we use to issue your study permit)
- a copy of a valid letter of acceptance from the school
- proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada
- letters of reference or any other documents the visa office told you to bring, and
- either a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or visitor visa (temporary resident visa)
- If you have a valid eTA, it’ll be linked to the passport you used to apply for your study permit.
You’ll also have to show the officer that you’ll leave Canada at the end of your stay – the Study Permit checklist will help you to better address those concerns.
Important: Study Permit Conditions
Your study permit will have specific conditions that will be outlined, including whether or not you are able to work on or off campus, and if you will be completing a CO-OP work term or internship. Please be sure to identify that you will be seeking work OFF-campus, as well as completing a CO-OP work term as part of your Chef School studies.
IMPORTANT COVID-19 INFORMATIONEffective immediately all students arriving in Canada for the purpose of study must have a Quarantine plan in order to be allowed entry. Please review the following information to ensure that you make all necessary preparations before arriving in Canada.
The Canada Homestay Network provides economical, safe accommodation where students are able to interact with a local family on a daily basis. It provides a great opportunity for support, learn about the local area, and it often leads to memorable experiences and lasting friendships with your hosts. Homestays are located in appealing, safe neighbourhoods accessible to the school by public transportation. All hosts meet strict standards for safety and cleanliness and at the minimum must provide a furnished room with a window, shared bathroom, bed with linens, private storage for your belongings and clothes, and most importantly, a quiet place to study. The HomeStay Network Team is ready to provide care and support at all times and to answer questions or solve any issues with your homestay. Here are a few of the benefits of joining The Canada Homestay Network for homestay while you study away from home:
- Over 25 years experience in successful homestay placements
- Safe and secure placements with vetted host families
- Guaranteed placements within 30 days of payment receipt
- Flexible terms of stay ranging from weeks to the full school year
- Affordable rates
- Meals are included with choices of meal plans
The sooner an application process is started, the greater number of personal wants and needs that can be matched with an ideal host family. To start the application process immediately, please follow this link: https://student.chnonline.ca/. that the following documentation will be required:
- Copy of Proof of Citizenship (ie Birth Certificate, Passport, Permanent Residency Card)
- Letter of Acceptance to a recognized Academic Institution
- Criminal Record checks with vulnerable sector search completed for all students who have reached the age of majority
- Fee payment
- Returned signed student participation agreement
- Copy of Insurance
You can opt to ONLY use the services for the Quarantine period if you already have made other accommodations arrangements or if you will be staying with family or friends.
Below you can review all the protocols for the Quarantine process:
- CHN’s Safe Arrival Program Protocol – https://canadahomestaynetwork.ca/safearrival/
- Quarantine in Hotel – https://canadahomestaynetwork.ca/safe-arrival-hotel-fees/