Durham College is looking for a dynamic culinary professional with a passion for customer service, teamwork and student success to take on an exciting role in the award-winning W. Galen Weston Centre for Food (CFF).
The Chef de Partie participates in the day-to-day back of house operations of Bistro ’67, Catering and Events both on-site and offsite. The Chef de Partie acknowledges the CFF’s field-to-fork and sustainable mission, and helps ensure it maintains this.
Reporting to the General Manager, and under the guidance of the Executive Chef the Chef de Partie is responsible for leading the execution of menu items and recipes while maintaining the quality of presentation, taste and consistency. The position also leads the operation of assigned workstations, has extensive menu knowledge, works with students during scheduled classes and supports the creation of daily specials, prix fixe and special event menus.
The successful candidate will need to ensure tasks are completed in a timely manner, and focus on customer service and support Durham College, Bistro ’67 and Centre for Food standards.
Supports the operation of the kitchen by:
• Works with the team to ensure the restaurant, catering and curbside orders are prepared in a timely manner
• Works closely with the staff and students to ensure they maintain the quality of presentation, taste and consistency
• Work closely with the service manager to ensure allergy protocol is followed and dietary requests are fulfilled safely
• Maintains stock levels for service and communicate any potential shortfalls to the Executive Chef
• Ensures staff/ students are following procedures follow procedures required for recipe prep, portion control and execution
• Assists the Executive Chef with training of staff and students.
• Following proper sanitation and safety standards within designated work station
• Familiarity with the legislated Dine Safe Durham food and safety requirements.
• Assisting with the open and closure of the kitchen by following the opening/ closing checklist for kitchen workstations
• Supports and maintains the cleanliness of all kitchen equipment including workstations, the prep area, storage spaces and surface areas
• Open to perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Chef
The successful incumbent will possess demonstrated culinary skills and have at least 3 years of progressive experience in the culinary industry to include work experience in a kitchen environment. Safe Food Handling certification is required. A 2-year diploma in Culinary Management and Red Seal certification an asset but not essential. The incumbent will possess excellent communication skills, the ability to prioritize tasks, conflict resolution, leadership and teamwork skills.
Durham College invites applications from all qualified individuals. Durham is committed to fostering workplace diversity, and, provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require this information in alternate format; require communication supports; an accommodation in applying for a posting and/or if you are selected for an interview, please contact our Human Resources (HR) department and an HR assistant will work with you to meet your needs.
Please apply below by submitting your cover letter and resume to the online portal. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Competition number SP22-32. We thank you for your interest in employment with Durham College however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.