Do you have a passion for the great outdoors as well as cooking? Does the opportunity to work (and if you want, live) in Algonquin Park for the next few months appeal to you? What about the possibility of meeting people from all over the globe and developing long lasting connections?
Let us help you bring all of your passions together in a great employment opportunity! Lake of Two Rivers Café and Grill is actively seeking Cooks to join our team inside beautiful Algonquin Park.
Just because people are camping or adventuring doesn’t mean they want to forgo tasty food and have someone else cook for them! As a Cook in our Café and Grill you will prepare great gourmet coffee, hamburgers and pulled pork, French fries, and poutine, wraps, fresh salads, pizza, and other light fares. People come from all over to enjoy the fresh made meals at our restaurant and have fun in Algonquin Park.
With so many visitors it makes for an exciting, fast paced environment where you can grow and learn new skills while working as part of a team! If you are looking to have a blast, meet great people and become part of the larger Algonquin Outfitters Team, then let’s connect!
Who We Are
Algonquin Outfitters is an Outdoor Adventure Store with locations in Algonquin Park, Haliburton Highlands and Muskoka. We are family owned and have been fueling adventures since 1961!
Our operations are diverse and provide opportunity for individuals with a variety of skill sets. Working at AO is not just a job – it is an experience! AO looks for individuals who want to join a team that is passionate about enabling people to get outside and lead active and adventurous lifestyles! As an AO team member, you will help create an awesome experience for our customers every time they walk through our doors.
What it is Like to Work Here
Working at AO isn’t so much about work as it is a life experience. We firmly believe in staff expertise in the products and services that we provide, and that means we encourage you to try as many of the activities AO has to offer.
We are a team that ramps up to 175 employees during our peak seasons and embrace the diversity that so many team members bring to us.
What You Will Do (among other things…)
Our Cooks are an essential part of our operations as you help fuel our visitors so that they are ready to venture out for the day or get replenished after returning from a day on the lakes and trails. As a Cook, you will ensure quality food comes out of the kitchen to our patrons, having responsibility for:
- Efficiently preparing a wide variety of food orders by cooking, grilling, and frying - Check out the Café and Grill’s menu to see the full array of what you will get to prepare!
- Performing various prep duties (slicing, chopping, packing, etc.), including setting up and stocking stations with all necessary supplies.
- Maintaining cleanliness and sanitization of kitchens and equipment and complying with safe food handling procedures, at all times.
- Stocking fridges, freezers, shelves, and display cases ensuring proper levels of inventory are kept.
- Washing dishes by hand or using a mechanical dishwasher.
- Creating a strong sense of teamwork and cooperation among staff as well as maintaining a positive and professional approach with customers.
- Having fun!
These roles are seasonal opportunities available to Thanksgiving weekend, averaging 5 days / 40 hours per week – some overtime may be required. Cooks must be willing to work weekends and holidays with shifts ranging from 7AM to 9PM. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals who are interested in returning to the Café each year!
What You Will Need
Here’s what will make you successful as one of our Cooks:
- Previous cooking experience and knowledge of a wide variety of industrial kitchen equipment are assets but if you are new the field and have a strong desire to learn, we are willing to teach!
- Enthusiastic, team-player mindset.
- Outstanding interpersonal qualities with an engaging and approachable personality.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to take direction/ follow instructions in a busy kitchen setting.
- You must be able to stay organized and produce quality results with necessary time frames.
We need someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, can multitask & prioritize, follow through thoroughly on tasks with minimal supervision, and has a high standard of quality in all that they do.
What We Offer
Cooks are compensated $18.00 - $24.00 per hour (plus tip sharing), depending on the experience you bring to our Café and Grill.
The Lake of Two Rivers store is located inside Algonquin Provincial Park, between Mew Lake and Lake of Two Rivers campgrounds - If you are in need of summer accommodations, or simply want to live in the Park for the summer, staff housing options are available.
Other perks we can offer to you:
- The opportunity to get out and enjoy the great outdoors – we are part of the Algonquin Outfitters Family and are committed to work-life balance.
- All employees are provided free use of AO rental products (during off-peak times).
- Food, product, and adventure discounts – AO offers staff members generous discounts and a pro-deal program.
- A fun and supportive work environment with a great team of like-minded individuals!
How to Let Us Know About You
We would love to receive your resume along with a brief cover letter that tells us more about you! Please be sure to include a brief note (1-2 paragraphs) on who you are and why you would be a great addition to the AO team.